London is England’s most populous city and also its capital city. London is considered as the world’s most-visited city as measured by international arrivals. London consists of many attractions; four of them has been listed down as World Heritage Sites such as Tower of London; Kew Gardens; Westminster Palace, Westminster Abbey and Saint Margaret’s Church; and the historic settlement of Greenwich. Besides these, there are many wonderful places to be visited in London. If you arrive at there, these 10 things below should not be missed.
- Tate Modern: is one of the most-visited attraction in the country. Tate modern is a modern art gallery which is located in Bankside, London SE1, England. With approximately 4.8 million visitors in 2013, Tate Modern is ranked 6th in the world’s most visited art museum. The main appeal of this gallery is its impressive building which was designed by architects Herzog and De Meuron. Tate Modern’s collections include the works of international modern and contemporary arts which have existed since 1990 until these present days. Tate Modern currently exhibits the collections of poetry and dream, structure and clarity, transformed visions, energy and process, as well as the scene setting.
- Marylebone Stroll: is a residential area of most affluent people in the country. Marylebone has been considered as one of the popular tourist attraction due to its endowment of beautiful surrounding which allows you to have a graceful stroll. Whether you are in London for either business or vacation, Marylebone Stroll is a should-be-visited place for your relaxation. You can also wind down yourself with a number of beautifully-decorated cafes, restaurants, and boutiques around there where you can enjoy a fancy shopping and taste a variety of delicious food.
- The London Eye: or known as the Millennium Wheel, is an enormous Ferris wheel situated on the South Bank of the River Thames in London. The London Eye has attracted over 3.5 million visitors annually, making itself become one of the most popular tourist destination in London. It was the world’s tallest Ferris wheel at the height of 135 meters, and currently, The London Eye is just the tallest Ferris wheel in Europe. There are 35 ovoidal capsules, and each of them can carry people up to 25. The wheel moves in a slow way, which takes 30 minutes for a revolution. It allows the passengers to overlook the glorious view of London, especially at night!
- Inn of Court: refers to professional societies which have supervisory and disciplinary functions over the barristers and provide them with libraries, dining facilities as well as professional accommodation. Four Inns remain until today; they are Lincoln’s Inn, Middle Temple, Gray’s Inn and Inner Temple. Not only do they play important role in regulating basic training practices, but they are also one of famous London’s attraction. The buildings was designed in a traditional and original way, and they are definitely beautiful and interesting!
- Kensington Gardens: was a private garden of Kensington Palace, lying to the west of Hyde Park—one of the largest parks in London. Kensington Gardens is separated from Hyde Park by the Serpentine—a recreational lake used by boaters and swimmers. Comparing to Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens is more peaceful and private since it is fenced, is more formal, and opens for only daytime. Currently, Kensington Gardens, an area of 111 hectares, is a popular park because of some features including the Albert Memorial, the statue of Peter Pan, and the Serpentine Art Gallery.
- ClueQuests: is a real-life escape game for 3 to 5 people, which requires a really simple goal. You have to use only your mind, logic and teamwork to solve all the puzzles and mysteries and then escape from room in 60 minutes. Not clear at all? Well, do not forget to try this once you visit London. Then, you will see how amazing it is! Not only is it fun, but it also improves some skills such as team-working skill, critical thinking skill, problem solving skill, and so on.
- Borough Market: Wanna go shopping to buy a variety of food at an affordable price? Borough Market is an alternative! Borough Market is the London’s largest and oldest wholesale food market which locates in Southwark, Central London, England. In these recent years, Borough Market has become quite a popular tourist destination, overflowing with food lovers. A wide range of food from all over the world are on sale.
- The Royal Court Theatre: Are you looking for a theatre in London? Well, The Royal Court Theatre is a good choice! It is a non-commercial theatre owned by English Stage Company. It is located on Sloane Square, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London. The Royal Court Theatre consists of two venues available for nearly 400 people (380 for downstairs theatre and 85 for upstairs theatre).
- Active360: Have you ever tried stand up paddle boarding? That’d nice if you experience this with Active360. Active360 is currently rated as one of the popular attractions in London. This paddle-boarding company is based in Kew Bridge on the river Thames. If you have never tried it before, you can also learn from their skillful instructors. Then, you’re going to have fantastic fun! One more thing, it are also some activities for older children, so bring them and have fun with your family!
- ZSL London Zoo: Besides museum, entertainment center, theatre, park and modern recreation, there is one thing you’re missing. That’s zoo! If you want to visit zoo in London, ZSL London Zoo should be your option. ZSL London Zoo has been opened publicly since 1847, comprising of 758 species with more than 19,000 animals as counted in 2013. Not only is ZSL London Zoo the world’s oldest scientific zoo, but it is also the first reptile house, first public aquarium, first insect house, and first children’s zoo.
On the whole, there are many attractions in London, which makes you feel difficult to decide as a tourist. That’s why this list is compiled. Here are the 10 things you should visit and enjoy when you go to London. By the way, if you have different ideas, please kindly let us know by your comment!