Road bikes are the most common type of bicycles cyclists use. You know, those bikes with really skinny tires and extremely light frames? Yeah, those are road bikes, and they are perfect for anyone who is looking for a cheaper and healthier way to commute. You can save money on gas by biking to work or school, or simply establish a nightly biking routine for great cardiovascular exercise.
Amazon has a long list of road bikes to choose from but we carefully jotted down all the best ones that are $500 and below. Before we take a peek in this list, you have to know first the guidelines on choosing the right road bike for you.
Checking out an online bike store, you definitely scroll up and down to look for the best road bike brands. You scan every review and details so you get the top bike but according to your choice – the wheel size, bike size, the weight, the suspensions and many other specifications. You have to choose the brand and type you’ll be most comfortable with. And of course, the major thing you have to consider is the price.
Well, we all know that bicycles can be costly too and you can just buy any kind of brand of road bike that you want as long as you have the budget. But, what if you budget is just $500 or below? That won’t absolutely be a problem.
Types of Bikes / Bicycles
These bicycles differ according to your choice. There are different types of bicycles for road biking such as BMX, recumbents, racing, touring and utility bicycles. There are different types of road bikes according on how you would use it.
- Racing Bikes – These bikes are the ones used when you want to go fast on flat roads or hills.
- Touring Bikes – These bikes are used for carrying heavy loads or luggage so the material it is built with is sturdy and the wheels are heavy-duty.
- Utility Bikes – These are the ones we use for day to day transportation. Not suitable for racing or any bicycle competition.
- Recumbent Bikes – These bikes have an unconventional design where the rider is in a laid-back reclining position. This is often used with people who prefer customized designs in support of their health concerns.
- BMX Bikes – BMX (bicycle motocross) bikes are used for performing stunts and racing on motocross tracks. This is the commonly used type for competitions.
- Cyclo-cross Bikes – These bikes are lightweight and used for cyclo-cross race that includes crossing steep slopes and laps.
Road biking or road cycling is indeed one of the common sports many people prefer today. It is a good exercise too!
Buying Guide: How to Choose a Road Bike
Before you go and join the Tour de France, you’ll need to know a few things about road bikes, and some of the best road bike brands out there. Here are some key features you have to consider first before buying a road bike. Take note of these reminders.
- TYPE – Determine the type of road bike you want. See above types.
- SIZE/FIT – This is one of the major factors you have to consider. If you want a comfortable ride, you have to check the size of your road bike. In that way, you’ll know if it fits you very well.
- BUDGET – You have to be realistic and budget-wise. If you have a limited budget, maybe $500 or below, doesn’t mean you have to settle with a cheap and low-quality brand. Check the details of the product carefully to make sure that every penny is worth it.
- FRAME MATERIAL/WEIGHT – Many prefer lightweight road bikes and it can also depend on what material it is made of. It could be made by aluminum, carbon steel, chromoly steel, carbon fiber and titanium.
a. Aluminum is light, strong, stiff and cheaper in price.
b. Carbon Steel is the most common material nowadays. It is strong, long-lasting but not very lightweight.
c. Chromoly steel is lighter than carbon steel but also long-lasting.
d. Carbon fiber is very light but it is sometimes hard to distinguish if the bike made of this material, is designed or made properly. It may not be sturdy so it should be built even stronger.
e. Titanium is a bit pricey though it guarantees to be a quality material and very durable that it can last for a long time. Though strong, it is lightweight. Most top of the line bicycle products are made of these material.
Top 10 Best Road Bikes Recommendations Under $500
You sure do know what type of bicycle you want. You might also have considered the factors before buying your own road bike. For you to know the best ones on Amazon, here are the Top 10 Best Road Bikes.If you’re looking for a lightweight road bike, this one from Merax Finiss is built with a lightweight and sturdy aluminum frame. The front and rear gears and shifters are Shimano. The front wheels are quick-release and the kickstand is also made of aluminum. This is also recommended for beginners. Schwinn Men’s Volare is an ideal road bike for day to day transportation or a casual ride. It is lightweight, fast and versatile. It is built with a rigid frame which allows you to fully control the bicycle. It has front and rear alloy linear pull brakes. It also features aluminum fitness style frame with an athletic riding position. If you’re looking for a commuter or utility bicycle, you might want to check this road bike from Critical Cycles. It provides smooth, optimized and comfortable riding. It features hand-built steel track frame with bar spin and no toe overlap. Front and rear brakes are also available. The tires are from Wanda which assures quality and durable tires. It is built with fewer parts which means a lightweight yet durable bicycle. Critical Cycles has yet again produced another quality bicycle that suit your casual ride on the road. It is a fixed-gear type of bicycle which means that it has no freewheel mechanism. Most fixed-gear bikes don’t have brakes and this one either. But if you prefer to, you can install the brakes. It is built with super deep-V double wall rim with stainless steel spokes and flip-flop rear wheel hub. It also features pursuit bullhorn handlebars with soft Kraton rubber grips for more comfortable ride. This 27-pound racing bicycle sure is lightweight and perfect for casual rides or if you want to go fast on flat roads. You can even carry it with one hand. The aluminum frame and fork makes it sturdy and reliable on a long ride. It has Shimano EF-51 shifter, derailleur and freewheel. It also features quick-release front and rear wheels. Vilano road bicycle could be one of your options for a casual or day to day ride. The frame is made of 6061 double butted aluminum which makes it durable and lightweight. The shifters are made of Shimano A050 SIS handlebar and the wheelset are double walled. Free pedals are also included in this package. Aluminum material is one of the best and reliable materials for a bike frame and this road bike from Schwinn is made of it. It assures a reliable and smooth ride with its lightweight and sturdy frame. It also has a rigid fork. The pull brakes and wheels are made of alloy including the crank. This choice of material for the other parts makes the road bike lightweight which improves acceleration and offers smooth ride. One of the features riders look for is the lightweight frame as it offers stable acceleration and smooth ride. This road bike from Vilano shows off its 6061 double butted aluminum frame which makes it lightweight and perfect for an easy and smooth ride. The wheels are double walled alloy and so the handlebar and seatpost are. The brakes are dual brake levers which are made of caliper steel. Commuters prefer a road bike they can use for their everyday transportation. It should be reliable as it will be used oftentimes, maybe to work or to school. This Vilano utility bicycle guarantees durability for your everyday ride. It is lightweight and made of aluminum. The thumb shifters are Shimano A050. The wheels are double walled with quick-release skewers. It also features Shimano 21 speed drivetrain for a more comfortable casual ride. Schwinn is one of the best brands for road bikes and this Phocus 1400 700c road bike is one of them. The frame is made of aluminum with rigid fork. The speed rear derailleur and shifters are Shimano. The wheels are at its highest quality with its high profile alloy rims with paired spokes which make the wheels strong. The brakes provide great braking power with its alloy caliper material.
TODAY’S Top 10 Amazon Best Sellers in Road Bikes
Here is the top 10 list of best selling Road Bikes as of TODAY on Amazon. This list is updated daily based on best seller rank and actual sales data. For your convenience, you can pick one of these Road Bikes that the community considers best.
- Lightweight and Sturdy 6061 Aluminum Frame for smooth riding and easy transport.
- Shimano shifter and Shimano derailleur for reliable shifting
- Quick-Release Front Wheels is easy to install and no tools needed
- Aluminum kickstand is lightweight and can reduce the weight of the bike
- Make sure you read Product Description before purchasing
- Weight Capacity: 440 Lbs, Unit Weight: 32 Lbs
- Recommended Height: 5'5"-6'0"
- Shimano 21 Speed TZ50 Shifter And Derailleur
- Enough Power And Speed To Meet Commuting, Racing Or Traveling Needs
- Package Includes: 1 X 700C Road Bike 21 Speed W/ Kickstand
- Aluminum 6061 with Poseidon Smooth Weld Frame, Poseidon Carbon Fiber Fork with 1 1/8" Alloy Steerer. This...
- Shimano Claris 8 speed STI Shifters, Claris Front Derailleur (Braze on), Claris Rear Derailleur that will...
- Poseidon Dual Pivot Brake Calipers gives you the stopping power you need to keep you safe and sound on...
- Pro Wheel Ounce 50/39 Alloy Crankset, Shimano Hyperglide 11-32T Cassette, the perfect gearing combo to...
- Professional Assembly is required to retain factory warranty - Lifetime warranty on the Frame
- Frame: 6061 Double Butted Aluminum
- Fork: 700c 1 1/8" Threadless
- Shifters: Shimano A050 SIS Handlebar Mounted. Front Derailleur:TZ-31 RD: TX-35
- Wheelset: 700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Sides
- 21 Speeds to Handle Any Situation
- FRAME: Lightweight Aluminum Compact Frame combined with an SST Steel Fork for maximum durability, backed...
- DRIVETRAIN: 3x8 Shimano Claris Groupset, featuring a 30/39/50T Claris crankset and 12x25T Claris...
- SHIFTING: Shimano Claris STI shifters provide smooth and consistent shifting in all riding conditions. By...
- GEOMETRY & COMFORT: Compact frame geometry and premium compact handlebars offer increased power and...
- PROFESSIONAL ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Bike needs wheels trued, derailleurs tuned, and all bolts tightened to...
- Schwinn aluminum road frame with a steel road fork ensures quick, agile riding
- Shimano 14-speed integrated shifter/brake lever combo works with Shimano derailleurs for precise shifting
- Schwinn oversized road tires provide fast and smooth cycling wherever the ride takes you
- Alloy double wall rims are strong and light
- Schwinn aluminum handlebar, stem and seat post are lightweight and durable
- 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Frame - Lightweight
- Shimano A050 Thumb Shifters
- 700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Wheelset with Quick Release Skewers
- Shimano 21 Speed Drivetrain to Handle Any Situation
- Free Pedals Included, Bike is Factory Direct, Assembly & Tuning are required
- Schwinn aluminum road frame with rigid fork for quick agile riding
- Shimano 14 speed rear derailleur with Shimano A050 shifters
- High profile alloy rims with paired spokes are lightweight and strong, front quick release
- Alloy caliper road brakes for great breaking power
- SR Suntour alloy crank for wide gear range
- 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Frame - Lightweight
- Shimano A050 Thumb Shifters
- 700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Sides
- 21 Speeds to Handle Any Situation
- Free Pedals Included