By now you’ve surely heard of stand up paddle boards so here is the 2016 buying guide for you. SUP, as Stand up paddle board is called, is perhaps the most popular and fun way to explore the water these days. Basically a mix of a kayak and a longboard surfboard, paddle boards are real easy to learn to ride, they provide an all-body workout for people of all ages, and are a great reason to spend more time out on the water.
Whether you live near a freshwater lake or river, or you are near the ocean, you will want to get a SUP so you can enjoy the water to the fullest. Below, we provide the top ten best stand up paddle boards of 2016, based largely on trending sales and best seller rankings on Amazon. This list includes inflatable and non-inflatable SUPS, and complete packages with paddle board and accessories.
Stand Up Paddle Board Buying Guide
What is a SUP?
Unlike traditional surfing, where you lie on your stomach and paddle with your arms and hands to get out onto the waves, stand up paddleboarding uses a handy paddle to propel through the water. Contrary to the name, you can actually be sitting, kneeling, or standing. Stand up paddleboarding can be a relaxing activity on a lazy Sunday afternoon winding down a calm river, or it can be as extreme as surfing a fifteen foot wave paddleboarding in Hawaii. SUPs are made from a variety of materials, including wood or fiberglass (like a surfboard), or heavy-duty polyurethane for the inflatable models.
How to Choose a Stand Up Paddleboard
Before buying your first paddleboard you’ll need to know and look out for a few things, and consider some important options. There are different types of paddleboards designed for different riders and various conditions. For instance, if you are wanting to go fast, you’ll probably choose a paddleboard that has a displacement hull. For most users who just want to have fun or use their SUP to workout or just relax, you’ll want to choose a more conventional planing hull.
So you should consider which type of experience you are seeking and what type of SUP to buy. But there are still several key factors and features to consider, and here we break it down to help you choose the right one:
- SUP Weight Capacity: It’s important to find a board that fits a wide range of weight, either for yourself or friends who might be using it. You should find the weight capacity of a SUP on the board itself or reviewing the product details. Do pay attention to its weight capacity limit, because this can dramatically affect the way your board rides.
- SUP Length: Determining the right board length for you depends on several factors. If you are buying a SUP for a kid or short person, go for a shorter board. Or if you want an all-around SUP that’s good for a range of conditions, a medium board (9’-12’) should do. And if you plan on touring long distances or racing with your paddleboard, a long board between 12.5’-14’ would be the best choice.
- SUP Width: The width of your board is also as important as the length. While the paddleboard Width you choose depends largely on your preference, there are key factors to think about. Narrow boards, typically narrower than 29 inches, will go faster than its wider cousins, but narrow boards are less stable and require good balance. A wider paddleboard is usually wider than 31”, goes a little slower, but is far more stable and appeals to more users.
- SUP Fins: A proper stand up paddleboard wouldn’t be complete without its set of fins. Most SUP riders will enjoy a typical 3-fin setup, also referred to as a ‘thruster’. This setup handles well in most conditions, helping to keep your board going in a straight line, and performs well for most riders. This is the most common configuration that we would recommend.
- SUP Paddle: Choosing your stand up paddleboard paddle is also an important decision. Not all paddles are created equal. If you plan on sharing your paddle with other riders, you should buy a paddle with an adjustable length to fit the rider’s height. For the more serious SUP rider who wants a lighter paddle, you can get a custom-fitted paddle (based on your height) which is typically made of carbon fiber and very light weight.
- Rigid vs Inflatable SUP: Inflatable SUPs are great for traveling with your board and can be rolled up for convenient storage. Of course you will need to pump it up before use, and most inflatable SUPs include a pump and travel bag. Rigid boards, aka hardboards, will deliver noticeably better performance and control, but then again they are are bulkier to transport. Consider what you need, and choose accordingly. Inflatable SUP is also know as iSUP, versus a regular SUP.
By now, you should be prepared with this informative buying guide to buy your own stand up paddleboard. But to make it even easier for you, we’ve identified the top ten best selling SUPs on amazon.com in 2016 listed below, to help make your buying decision easy and hassle-free. Have fun!
Top 10 Stand Up Paddle Boards
This inflatable stand up paddle board package has everything you need and is a best seller on Amazon. At 10’6”, it is a good length for anyone whether it’s your first day on the water or fifth year doing SUP yoga. It’s extremely durable and made from military grade PVC and drop stitch material. This inflatable paddleboard, or iSUP, is 6” thick, which is 2” thicker than most iSUPs. This means a more stable ride for you and your wallet. As if this board wasn’t comfortable enough, PEAK made it 31” wide to round out an overall easy feel. Don’t worry about forgetting to buy a paddle or a pump—PEAK includes the whole setup with this package. You’ll receive a matching paddle, stylish carry backpack, durable coil leash, and a high pressure pump. Now you’re ready for the beach!
Here’s another top seller on Amazon that towers over the rest. Store your favorite summer toy in your closet with the Tower Adventure 2 iSUP package. This board is 10’4” long and is wide enough to accommodate any rider. The rigid and durable PVC material is military-grade and when properly inflated, feels like a hard board. Boasting a weight limit of 350 lbs, this board was made for anything. When you’re done for the season, just fully deflate the iSUP and store it away until next time. Tower Paddle Boards wanted to make sure you were good to go, so they included everything you’ll need out on the water and you get a bungee tether, two carry handles, a 3-piece fiberglass paddle, a fin and pump.
Perhaps one of the coolest and simple-looking iSUPs on the market this year is the WEEKENDER by Ten Toes. At only 10 foot long and 30 inches wide, the WEEKENDER may seem short when compared to similar models. But the 6” thickness makes up for shorter length and adds stability that’s hard to match. It’s perfect for iSUP riders of any age or ability, so you can practice yoga, read a book, or race your best friend on this all-purpose board. This thing is also nearly bulletproof. Made of military-grade PVC, you can forget the days of board-dings and paddle-knicks. Ten Toes didn’t forget about the accessories, either. They include an adjustable paddle, 3 fins, a manual pump and a useful repair kit. Be a WEEKENDER.
If you’ve been searching for the ideal beginner inflatable stand up paddleboard that won’t break the bank, but will still deliver all of the durability and maneuverability that you need, you’ve found it. This 10’ paddleboard is the all-around crowd-pleaser for it’s sleek look and design, compact and comfortable size, and user-friendliness. With a weight capacity of 220 lbs, this iSUP is ideal for beginners fishing, yoga, or exercise. It’s made from military-grade PVC and has drop stitch seams. This board can also be deflated and stored easily and only weighs 31 lbs. An adjustable aluminum paddle is included in this setup, including a pump, carry bag, and a fin. Get to know the water better with the Zray 10’ iSUP.
The California Board Company has struck gold with their custom foam SUP. Specifically shaped to provide balance and comfort, this rigid SUP is made of high density EPS foam and laminated wood stringers. This board has a weight capacity of 300 lbs and has a waterproof core to ensure longevity and performance. At 10’6” in length, this board was meant to be ridden by anyone. You can comfortably cruise the bay, navigate down a river with your friends, or catch a couple waves in SoCal with CBC’s foam shape. Only weighing in at 25 lbs, you can traverse sketchy terrain in search of the perfect waves or calm water. This deal includes a paddle, too, so what are you waiting for?
Making big waves this year was this iSUP from iRocker Paddle Boards. Going the distance at 11’, these guys had performance and durability in mind. Featuring triple layer, military-grade PVC, and drop stitch technology, this board is as tough as a boat. To complement the length, iRocker made this iSUP 6” thick to give anyone who rides it the stability they need to feel confident. Don’t worry about buying a roof rack, either. You can just deflate your iSUP when you’re done and throw it in your trunk. This board is ideal for anyone who has been searching for a portable, durable, and dependable inflatable stand up paddleboard that their entire family can use. You can practice yoga and develop balance, go for speed and exercise, or simply lounge on the river on a hot summer’s day. Do it all with iRocker’s iSUP.
This user-friendly inflatable stand up paddleboard setup is the clear choice for so many riders who want dependability and aesthetic appeal merged into one tough iSUP. The The Bali by Solstice is reinforced with extremely tough and durable 3 ply PVC. There are four stainless tie-downs on the front top deck of the board to secure flotation devices or personal items, which is perfect for those tropical excursions or brisk mornings. The Bali is 10’8” in length, which means you’ll feel confident enough to stand and paddle, or even to try a yoga pose. This iSUP package comes with a carry bag, pump, and gauge. Get ready to explore because this iSUP is leading the way.
With a name like Atlantis, you can’t help but think these guys have developed an all-around exploring machine. With a huge anti-slick deck and wide base, virtually anyone can learn to stand up paddleboard in record time with this iSUP. The military-grade PVC material and extra-thick design allow Atlantis to boast a 398 lb weight limit. This beast of a SUP is equally as portable as it is durable. Simply use the pump to deflate your iSUP and stow it in your trunk. This water toy will give you the most fun exercise you’ve ever done and it won’t even feel like work. Hurry and grab this board, or even two for the family, since it includes an adjustable paddle, carry bag, pump, and fin.
iRocker makes another appearance on the list with a similar model, yet a foot smaller. This inflatable stand up paddleboard will favor the rider who is looking to do a little more surfing. The shorter frame will allow for quicker turns in the face of a swell and better maneuverability than its longer counterparts. The extreme durability of iRocker’s products is evident in this iSUP machine. The military-grade PVC material allows you to enjoy yourself on your iSUP without worrying about scratching your favorite toy or, even worse, someone else’s. You’ll be good to go with an included paddle, hand pump, and carry bag. The 30” width, 6” thickness give this board desirable stability, and the thruster fin setup make this iSUP the raddest board of them all.
The new Airtech® from ISLE features the newest technology we’ve seen in awhile. The fusion-lite construction allows for an iSUP that is 30% lighter yet just as durable as its competitors. The all-terrain design makes it ideal for beginner riders who are usually in flat waters with some small waves. The military-grade material can withstand just about anything, so don’t worry if you run into the pier or your friend’s dad’s expensive yacht. This board is a comfortable 10’ long, which is perfect for those who want more control, or if you’re just beginning. You can hit the beach as soon as you get this iSUP because it comes ready to ride with a travel paddle, carry bag, pump, fins, and a repair kit.
TODAY’S Top 10 Amazon Best Sellers: Stand Up Paddle Boards
This list is updated DAILY, to provide you the ranked list of the best selling Stand Up Paddle Boards on Amazon today. Based on actual best seller rank, these are the Stand Up Paddle Boards that so many other consumers consider to be their top picks. You might want one of these for yourself.
- EXCLUSIVE DESIGN - Inflated: 10'6" x 31" x 6" | Supports Riders Up to 300 lbs. | Weight: 23 lbs.
- BEST ALL AROUND iSUP DESIGN - Rigid and Stable Shape, Great for• ULTIMATE ALL AROUND iSUP - Rigid and...
- INCLUDES iSUP ACCESSORY BUNDLE - Paddle, Carry Backpack, Coil Leash, High Pressure Pump
- ULTRA DURABLE - Constructed with Military Grade PVC | 6" Thick - No More Dings or Damage
- 30 DAY GUARANTEE + 1 YEAR WARRANTY ON MATERIALS - Risk Free Returns within 30 Days
- High Density EPS Foam
- 100% Waterproof core
- Surf Leash Included
- Camera Mount
- Instant padded roof rack makes it easy to strap your board to almost any vehicle.
- Adjustable SUP paddle with exclusive blade shield. (Adjusts from 63'' to 83'')
- Weight capacity of 300 lbs!
- Paddle Board Set comes with a Tri-Fin System.
- Measures 9'9", 5" thick. Portable and easy to store.
- Great for wide range of water and use conditions.
- Amazing Durability - PVC material and strong multi-layer drop stitch.
- Large deck pad, bungee for securing on-board cargo, and D-ring to attach a leash.
- Includes: Adjustable aluminum paddle, pump, detachable center fin, carry bag (with shoulder straps), and...
- 9'6 & 10'8 LENGHTS - Supports Riders: Up to 275+ lbs. | Great For Families | Soft Top Deck
- ALL AROUND SUP DESIGN - Rigid and Stable for All Skill Levels | Flatwater & Small Waves
- INCLUDES ACCESSORY BUNDLE - Adjustable Paddle, Center Handle, Fin
- CONSTRUCTION - Soft Top Deck | EPS core with a TRIPLE stringer system | High Density Bottom
- 30 DAY GUARANTEE + 180 DAY WARRANTY ON MATERIALS - Risk Free Returns within 30 Days
- Tracks and paddles with ease while offering maximum stability
- Non-slip foot pads
- Storage compartment with shock cord deck rigging
- Paddle included
- The iSUP advantage, inflatable stand up Paddleboards are Super convenient
- Large anti-skid EVA pads for secure footing
- Mesh backpack includes Paddle, removable seat, stainless steel tow rings, Hi pressure hand pump, pressure...
- Measures 10'6" x 30" x 4" inflated
- Maximum capacity 250 lbs
- Rigid & Durable: It feels very similar to a hard board. The board is made of high grade PVC material with...
- Ultra Portable: Deflated it's only 1 foot in diameter by 36". Inflated size: 9' 9" x 30" x 5" thick
- Deck Features: Comfort diamond groove traction for grip and Stainless D-Rings and bungee on front deck...
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty covers workmanship and material. We've got you covered.
- Complete Package: Board, Pump with Integrated pressure gauge, 3-Piece Aluminum paddle, Removable carry...
- AIRTECH CONSTRUCTION - 11' x 32" x 6" | Board Weight: 19.1 Lbs. | Supports Riders up to 275 lbs.
- GREAT FOR ADVENTURE - Extra gear storage for those who like to paddle off the beaten path
- ULTRA DURABLE - Constructed with Military Grade PVC | 6" thick - No more dings or damage
- INCLUDES iSUP ACCESSORY BUNDLE - Paddle, Carry backpack, high pressure pump
- 30 DAY GUARANTEE + 1 YEAR WARRANTY ON MATERIALS - Risk free returns within 30 days
- High-pressure inflatable paddleboard. Sleek, lightweight and fast
- Extremely rigid and strong.
- Includes 4 stainless tie-downs for securing gear
- Durable 1000 Denier 3 ply PVC reinforced fabric material
- Kit Includes: Carry bag, pump & gauge
- 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" - All around shape perfect for beginner, intermediate riders on flat water and small...
- ULTRA DURABLE - EPS/Epoxy Technology creates an epoxy board that's both lightweight and strong
- EASY TO TRANSPORT- Comfort groove carry handle makes this stand up easy to transport
- INCLUDES ACCESSORY BUNDLE - Adjustable Paddle (Carbon Shaft and Nylon Blade) and Fin
- 30 DAY GUARANTEE + 180 DAY WARRANTY ON MATERIALS - Risk free returns within 30 days