As the winter season approaches, many people depend on light therapy (or phototherapy) as it is an effective and reliable treatment more particularly with users who have SAD or seasonal affective disorder. It has become a common and recurring problem for some people during the winter season. If you are still wondering does light therapy work, then read this informative article and buying guide.
What is light therapy and SAD?
SAD or seasonal affective disorder is a mood disorder wherein the person experiences depression most commonly during the winter season or sometimes, on a specific season or time of the year. According to some studies, this may happen due to insufficient exposure in light. As how it defines, this kind of disorder is also known as winter blues, winter depression or seasonal depression. So, to fight this off, patients undergo a light therapy treatment.
Light therapy, on the other hand, includes a light therapy lamp that gives off an artificial light that is as bright as the outdoor light. This kind of treatment normalizes the mood and provides relief not only for SAD patients but also for those who encounter different types of depression, sleep disorders and jet lag. This is often done at home and sometimes, in the office.
When a person is having a hard time to sleep or sleeping too much, light therapy would be a great help to overcome such disorders. Some users also prefer having this done in the office when they lack of energy. However, light therapy lamps and products can be bought over the counter but it is much better to consult your doctor if this will be part of your medication.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Light Therapy Lamp
1. BRIGHTNESS – The usual illuminance of a light therapy lamp is 10,000 lux but it still varies according to the product you buy. So, if you have a preferred amount of illumination or light intensity, you have to check the details of the product before buying it. LED lights are often used with light therapy lamps.
2. FUNCTION – There are different types of light therapy lamps and each has its designated use. If you’re an SAD patient, you have to make sure if the product you’re buying is specified for this use. The intensity of light or UV light is different if it is for skin disorders. So, if you misuse the product, it may cause eye damage.
3. UV LIGHT – Light therapy lamps should not release too much UV light thus filter most or all the UV light. Too much exposure to UV light may not be very safe. It may cause skin or eye damage if misused. It is very important to know how much UV light your lamp releases.
4. STYLE – Light therapy products or lamps come in different sizes and shapes. Make sure that the product you’re buying is according to what you need.
5. PORTABILITY – Most users prefer compact and portable. A lamp with such features, however, is more convenient to use. Yet again, you have to know where you would place it and how you would use it – on a side table while you’re reading or maybe when you’re about to sleep or when waking up.
Top 10 Best Light Therapy ProductsThis wake-up light from Philips is one of the best-selling light therapy products. With its size and style, you can place it on the bedside. It can assure you a beautiful feeling as you wake up with the colored sunrise simulation. It also features calming wake-up sounds which you can choose among the five options. Both the light and sound can be adjusted. The light dims as it lulls you goodnight. The extra features are the FM radio and a tap-to-snooze alarm clock. Waking up and sleeping couldn’t have been any better with this light therapy lamp.
Top 10 Amazon Best Sellers
Updated Daily, this is the list of the top 10 best sellers on Amazon. Here you will see what many other consumers consider to be the best, so you can find a good light for your needs.
- System includes 10,000-lux light therapy and negative ion therapy
- Balances your body clock, leaving you feeling rested, refreshed, and nourished all over
- Clinical studies show that ion therapy provides an automatic antidepressant effect within a few days of...
- Not to be used by people with Bi-polar disorder
- Recommended by Columbia Department of Psychiatry and the New York State Psychiatry Institute
- A Verilux Best Seller, the HappyLight Liberty energy lamp provides safe, comfortable natural spectrum...
- 5,000 Lux moderate UV filtered output for extended daily use. Light therapy can help improve your mood...
- Compact, weighs only 1.5 lbs., perfect for small spaces and on-the-go portability.
- Durable, long lasting, and safety tested to the highest standards of compliance.
- Backed by Verilux's reputation for customer service, Verilux is the originator of the HappyLight.
- Safe, natural spectrum light therapy in a practical, compact size.
- Provides 10,000 Lux, UV blocked bright white light therapy recommended by professionals.
- Customizes to your personal preference for light intensity with high or low settings, includes two easy...
- Broad surface area emits more light per square inch for efficient light therapy sessions.
- Light therapy at the right time of day can help improve your mood and reset your circadian rhythm to...
- Brighten up your cloudy days with a simulation of natural sunlight with a light intensity of around...
- May help to reduce the effects associated with winter blues, jet lag, shift work and seasonal time...
- Thanks to LED technology you get an even illumination surface of approx. 4.7" to 7.9".
- Ideal for your desk or on the move with the portable pouch. Also comes with an adjustable stand so it can...
- Flicker-free and UV-free.
- Beat the winter blues and the effects of seasonal change
- The HappyLight Liberty energy lamp provides safe, comfortable natural spectrum light therapy in a compact...
- 5,000 Lux moderate UV filtered output for extended daily use.
- Natural-spectrum light improves mood, energy and focus
- Optix lens reduces glare and eye fatigue
- Provides the maximum recommended 10,000 LUX of glare-free white light
- Safely blocks 99.3% of UV and projects light downward as recommended by experts
- Based on the model used by university researchers around the world
- Angle and height adjustable for easy use
- Can help relieve symptoms of the Winter Blues, as well as Circadian Sleep Disorders, Shift Work...
- Brand: LSE Lighting® - (Light Bulb included)
- Wattage: 27W of Energy Usage - Outputs 150W of Light; Voltage: 120V AC 50/60Hz.
- Stylish Modern Natural Spectrum Desk Lamp; AKA - Reading Lamp, Task Lamp, Therapy Lamp
- Color Temperature: 6500K; Lumens: 1800LM; Lamp Life Hours: 10,000hrs (FML27 Bulb)
- On/Off Switch; comes with 2 year warranty
- USB POWERED - The only light therapy lamp that's powered through a USB port - eliminating the need for an...
- 10,000 LUX, 5500K - This offers an effective but safe level of brightness to help beat Winter Blues,...
- FULL-SPECTRUM - The Lumos produces full-spectrum light (CRI >90). This means a higher quality light that...
- AWARD WINNING DESIGN, 50,000 HOUR LIFESPAN - Compact dimensions (11.5*2.25*3.5"). The sleek and modern...
- 90 DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - Receive a full refund, including prepaid return shipping, if you are...
- Wake-up naturally and improve your ability to function in the morning
- Only Philips Wake-up Lights are clinically proven to work
- Bright yellow sunrise simulation wakes you up gradually with natural light
- Includes a tap-to-snooze alarm clock and a beep function to ensure you wake up on time
- Use as a bedside lamp with 10 brightness settings
- Portable light system emits 10,000 lux wide-spectrum light
- Selectable intensity levels and programable 15, 30, 45 minute timer
- Sleek and compact lightweight design perfect for travel. 110v-240v worldwide-compatible AC adapter...
- Provides natural soothing glow; mimicking real sunlight
- 72 Energy-efficient LEDs consumes only 7.2 watts and is rated for more than 20 years
Benefits of Light Therapy for SAD Treatment
By now, you hopefully now know a bit about How does light therapy work. Further, here are some of the major benefits of light therapy.
- Phototherapy boosts energy and improves performance while doing many tasks at home or at work.
- Phototherapy normalizes sleep patterns. It gives you a sound and enough sleep.
- Phototherapy provides great relief for SAD patients or any depression and mood disorders.
- Phototherapy helps the medicine to be more effective when the user is under medication.
- Phototherapy provides a relaxing feeling.