Kate Del Castillo was a relatively unknown actress in the US until recently. Well, all that has changed after the news media revealed her involvement with the most famous Mexican drug lord, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman. Now Kate has become an international celebrity not only in the USA but also on a global scale.
Kate del Castillo’s journey to an overnight celebrity status happened in early 2016 when actor Sean Penn named her as the link, in a Rolling Stone magazine article, who helped him get an interview with Guzman. Unfortunately for Guzman, the authorities were on to Kate del Castillo and some time after their encounter authorities discovered the hiding place of Guzman. He was captured in December 2015 and now faces extradition to the US.
Read this great article just published in the March 2016 issue of The New Yorker The Go-Between, where she gives an extensive account of her side of the story and dealings with Sean Penn and El Chapo and where she stands today.
- See related: 10 Hot Mexican Telenovela Actresses
See Related: Top 10 Hot Mexican Telenovela Actresses
Things to Know About Kate del Castillo
There is a lot more to Kate Del Castillo than “El Chapo” Guzman. Checkout the following facts, according to sources:
- Who is Kate Castillo? Kate is the daughter of Mexican actor Eric del Castillo and she is better known as an actress in Mexico where she has been a household name by appearing in numerous TV shows and movies. Her start in Hollywood began a decade ago and just recently she appeared in in the movie “The 33”, which was a movie based on the rescue of 33 Chilean miners who were trapped underground for nearly 8 weeks. She played the wife of lead miner, Mario Sepulveda.
- Personal life: Kate Del Castillo was born in Mexico City, Mexico, and moved to the USA many years ago. She just became an American citizen last year. Kate has two other siblings; a sister (Veronica del Castillo), who works as a journalist and a half-brother, Ponciano, from her father’s side.
- Romance: Kate was romantically involved with Emilio Azcarraga Jean son of media mogul Emilio Azcárraga Milmo who is the CEO Televisa Grup, and also one of the biggest and wealthiest mass media companies in Latin America. She has been married twice, first in 2001 to football player Luis García, but the marriage dissolved in 2004. In 2009, Kate married Aarón Díaz in Las Vegas but separated just a few months later.
- On August 22, 2005 her LA home was broken into by unknown people who stole her personal possessions including expensive jewelry.
- Loves animals: In 2012, she volunteered as a spokesperson for PETA, encouraging pet owners to protect their pets and keep them indoors. This was following some horrific cases of animal abuse in the LA area.
- Music: On the Cristina show, Kate revealed to Cristina Saralegui that she loved the English band “Duran Duran.”
- Famous Cartel movie: Kate played a part the story line of “La Reina del Sur, which reveals corruption in the Mexican government. Her character ends up in the drug trade through her relationship with men but she is portrayed as a decent kind-hearted person, although she does play a role in killing the enemies. When authorities captured Guzman, they found the DVD “La Reina del Sur” at his safe house.
- Awards. Kate has won 3 awards for best actress for her role in Imperio de Cristal, La misma Luna and American Visa. She has been nominated for at least 4 other movies.
- Television: Kate first appeared on TV on Muchachitas in 1991 and since then has been a regular on Mexican TV. Presently she stars as Kate in Telenovela show Rivals. Kate‘s first movie appearance was in 1978, starring as a child in Los de Abajo. Her first role in Hollywood did not come till 2006 when she started in the movie “Bordertown.” Her latest role is in “El Americano” set to be released later this year where she has lent her voice to “Ravito.
- Career: In 2002-20003, Kate embarked with Argentine actor Saul Lisazo on an international tour showcasing her theater talent in “Love Letters” (Cartas de Armor). In 2007, she was named as a “Star of the Year” and in 2011 she was named as “One the 25 most influential women” and “50 most beautiful” by People en Espanol magazine. In 2009, she was appointed Ambassador for the Mexican Commission on human rights and in 2010 she helped launch the Blue Heart campaign to raise awareness of human trafficking. Besides TV and movies she has also appeared in ads for Ford and L’Oreal and in the music video “Fuego De Noche, Nieve de Dia by Ricky Martin. Last year she launched a new brand of Tequila named “Tequila Honor del Castillo.” The Mexican government is investigating if she received money from Guzman to sponsor her tequila brand.
See Related: Top 10 Famous Mexican Celebrities
Where is Kate today?
Kate del Castillo lives in Los Angeles and is pretty busy with her TV and movie career. She has been one of the few Mexican females who has made it to Hollywood and thrived. Her latest saga is one of real life that deals with her encounter with Guzman. We’ll know more about that later when Kate reveals her side of story.